Monday, November 26, 2007

The Nunezes in Austin

Wurstfest


http://pictures.thelauves.com/nunez0711.html

I'm a little bit behind the curve; this is my first article to write on our new family blog as newlyweds and it's two weeks after the event I'm writing about. And I was the one who wanted us to have a blog, right Daniel?

Two weeks ago my Mom called to see what we were up to and it ended up working out just right for her and my Dad to come to Austin for the weekend. They came in on Friday night and we immediately went for Mexican food & margaritas (Dad's favorite!) at Chuy's.

On Saturday morning I got up early to have coffee with Mom & Dad, which is special for me. Daniel doesn't drink coffee (and sleeps later), and I rarely drink it unless I'm with my parents or it's a Starbucks kinda day, which I try not to make a habit of. I had made a few notes of some things to do, and one was definitely Town Lake. My Dad is a runner and the reason why I began jogging. I still work hard at it as it doesn't come naturally to me, but somehow that makes me love it even more.

We all enjoyed Town Lake in our own way, walking and/or running, and it ended with a twist because we sort of lost Dad--don't worry, we found him! Afterwards we went to Whole Foods on 6th Street to shop and eat an early lunch. The choices there are amazing and we all chose something different after tasting a lot!

We had a fun trip to Wurstfest--there was lots of sausage, beer and German fun to be had. In fact, there was even a little b-ball for Daniel. No, he did not win the humongous purple dog for me, but I didn't see anyone win anything from the basketball shooting booth. Some (Daniel) would say that the hoops were smaller than regulation and that he would have made two of the three shots he took on a normal rim. Among the highlights was the large hall where we listened (and did the Chicken Dance) to the Seven Dutchmen Orchestra and watched some semi-talented cloggers. That's also where I took a picture of the crest that was the closest match (Reininger) to our German friends' last name, Reinig. We looked for you, Jane & Fritz!

On Sunday we went to church and to took my parents on another, very different, food adventure. We went to eat Thai food at Titaya's on North Lamar. I knew it was going to be a tough sell to my Cajun dad, but I just kept saying, "but you like rice and gravy!" and it worked. It was fun, and I think Mom really liked it. The Tom Yum soup was extra good as always and the only very small disappointment was that mango is not in season and therefore we had to have our sticky rice with custard instead. Which was delicious but if you go and they have mango, get the mango and let me know what you think!

Mom and I went shopping lunch while the guys watched the Cowboys vs. Giants. I had previously made plans to go to the Ladies of the 80's sing-along at the new Alamo Drafthouse, so I did that Sunday night. Then Daniel, Mom, and Dad met me downtown after I enjoyed the sing along with some old and current (but both dear) coworkers. The four of us went to Cork & Company, a wine bar, and ordered a couple of flights of wine and had some good conversation over these couples cards. It was fun, and my favorite question was "Does your significant other act differently around their parents? How?"

Mom and Dad left early Monday morning for home after a great weekend. We enjoyed you and look forward to another weekend of adventures with the parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment