Thursday, October 30, 2008

Saturday, September 20: From Amerigo to America

[Brandi's comments are featured in italics.]

Our wakeup this morning was jarring, to say the least. The phone rang at 6:00 a.m. from the front desk telling us that our car to Florence’s Amerigo Vespucci Airport was downstairs and ready to go. It was one of those disorienting moments that takes you a few minutes just to believe that you’re not in a bad dream. I had gotten a wake-up call, but I reflexively picked up the phone when it rang and sat it back down. And for some reason my phone alarm that I have used numerous time for all sort of other hotel alarms did not sound. And with staying up late the night before and my smart decision not to pack up all my stuff so it would be easy to get up and go for our early flight, let’s just say this morning was my least favorite moment of the trip! Not to mention I was sad that we were leaving our dream vacation. Daniel had actually gotten his luggage packed before we went to bed, so as the calm one in these situations he threw his clothes on to go downstairs.  He was going to talk to the driver to see if he could wait for us, and then he’d come back to help me with my luggage. I raced around and managed to get dressed and packed in 10 minutes flat, and we were out the door on our way to the airport before sunrise.As we drove away from downtown I welled up a little over the beauty we were leaving behind but was filled with all the memories Daniel and I had created in one week in a different world. It left us with a yearning to see more of the surrounding countries and cultures that we have yet to experience, so there will always be another adventure for us. But for now, I had to say good-bye to our Italy, or better yet, “Ciao Bella!”


No comments:

Post a Comment