Monday, April 18, 2011

40 years and 3 months


Christmas 2010

Today is a very special day. April 18, 2011 would have been my parents 40th wedding anniversary. I used to have trouble remembering their wedding day, and I remember many times talking to my mother when I was in college and her reminding me more than once that it was their special day, and I would say, "Oh, oops, sorry...I forgot Mom--Happy Anniversary!", not dwelling as much on it as I should have.

Once I got older and especially once I was married I realized the significance and just what a history those decades provide. This past week I considered my parents wedding day even more so than ever before and thought about my mom constantly. How do you imagine such a day passing without that partner to write another day with you? Those decades of history must include many challenges of building a strong relationship that can get you to number 40. I know they included the growing pains of raising a family and supporting each other through changing careers mid-life. Looking back now so close to our tragedy they all look like such good years with sweet memories.

I can't help but feel yet another mixture of emotions on this special and sad day. 40 years doesn't happen very often anymore, and I am happy to have been there for a small part in it. And yet sad because to love so strong and so much comes at such a high price. I know life will go on, and we have a big reminder of that as today is also Everett Winston's 3 month birthday. On yet another heartbreaking milestone for my family, and especially for my Mom, who is missing her best friend, we celebrate the life and wonderment of our baby boy.

Happy Anniversary, Momma and Daddy. For you are still in our hearts as one special and loving couple.
Happy 3 Months, Everett Winston. May you look back in 36 years and be reaping the benefits of your parents long and happy marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment