Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

On this day ten years ago, I was getting ready for work at 7:15am and for some reason I turned on the TV in the morning which was more than unusual for me. Not too long after, Good Morning America deviated from its regular programming to talk about the first plane that hit. I didn't hesitate for a second, and I called my dad who was working that morning at the store. I called many people that day to share our fears and express how important they each were to me. But my daddy was first.

This morning on September 11, 2011, like so many Americans, we watched the service and the opening of the 9/11 memorial for the ten year anniversary. It is tough to watch even after ten years. The stories from all the siblings, spouses and parents that lost their loved ones touched my heart in a place that didn't exist for me on September 11, 2001. At the end of one of the segments, Diane Sawyer was talking to the children of pregnant women who lost their husbands on 9/11. And she said to a young boy, "You need only look inside yourself to find your dad." My heart goes out to everyone who lost a family member or friend that fateful day. And to all of us still on this earth, let this day always serve as a reminder about coming together and reaching out to those we love and letting them know how much we love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment