Monday, March 14, 2005

Honey, Disconnect the Phone...

Bangalore

Bangalore, in Austin at least, is very closely associated with the Dell call center, and today we got to see what they do. The day started out at Wipro, which I thought has been one of our best presentations, and we had some free time in the afternoon. I made it to Pizza Hut and to an internet cafe to send a mass email and print out my brackets, and I went to a music store.


The big promotion at the music store was Mark Knopfler, which cracked me up. A couple days ago I saw a story about the frontman for Dire Straits playing a concert in Bangalore, and some of the kids who were interviewed said things like, “Mark Knopfler is a god.” (Keep in mind that the Hindu religion has hundreds of millions of gods, so maybe it’s not that big a deal.)


Dell was fascinating, if for no other reason than to see American office culture lifted out and plopped right in the middle of India. I loved the little signs they had posted all over the place. At Wipro, they had one that said, “Attitudes are contagious. Who’s catching yours?” Dell had all of these pick-me-ups that were about selling services. They said things like, “Playing a sitar? Hard. Selling support services? Easy!”


Cricket is getting better. If batting is so easy, as I thought it was, then why is there so much variance in how well batters do at it? Some guys get upwards of 100 runs, and others can’t even get ten. The average is about thirty, I think. I’ve looked at the high scoring as something that makes batting easy, but actually it can create a challenge as well—the price of being retired is extremely high. For an elite player, if you swing and miss just once, you’re costing your team about a hundred runs.


The food of the day goes to the chicken and pineapple pizza I had at Pizza Hut.

No comments:

Post a Comment